Thursday, September 29, 2016

Pitching Fits & Pointing Fingers - Parenting's Biggest Hurdle.

Anyone that knows me, knows I love my kids. But here's the truth..... I don't always like them (and I'm certain that those feelings can be mutual at times). I've worked really, really hard not to let them turn out to be a$$holes, but it's hard. It's a constant battle. The entitlement thing is the real deal and I struggle with it on a regular basis. And I know I'm not alone in the WOE (War On Entitlement). 

Entitled generation POV:
  • Don’t feel like verbally communicating? 
    • I’m too tired, too busy and would rather text.
  • Frustrated because you’ve been asked two times in a row to take out the garbage and your sibling hasn’t? 
    • Mom is a b*tch.
  • Feel as though your clothes and sneakers are outdated? 
    • Mom/Dad never make time to go shopping.
  • Don’t want to eat spaghetti AGAIN? 
    • Bojangles is so much better.
  • Xbox keeps disconnecting because wifi is on the blink AGAIN? 
    • My parents are so frustrating by not getting this fixed by now.
  • Made a bad grade on your test in school? 
    • The teacher is terrible. Ask anyone.
  • Can’t find your earbuds? 
    • The dryer ruined them AGAIN.

 

Real life:
  • Don’t feel like verbally communicating? 
    • Hey, YOU! Step away from the smartphone screen.
  • Frustrated because you’ve been asked two times in a row to take out the garbage and your sibling hasn’t?
    • If I say it’s YOUR turn, it’s your turn.
  • Feel as though your clothes and sneakers are outdated? 
    • Have you seen my closet? I have clothes from before YOU were born. (and I still wear them) Get a job. 
  • Don’t want to eat spaghetti AGAIN? 
    • Refer to “Get a job”. Too young for a job? Here’s extra marinara sauce, just like YOU like it.
  • Xbox keeps disconnecting because wifi is on the blink AGAIN? 
    • Let me get YOU Time Warner’s customer service number 1-800-TWCsux. Be thankful you're b*tching about lack of wifi vs. lack of food and shelter.
  • Made a bad grade on your test in school? 
    • Step away from the smartphone (again) and study.  YOU have to pay attention in class, read the material, and repeat.
  • Can’t find your earbuds? 
    • Stop leaving them in YOUR damn pockets!!
At some point I hope my words resonate with them, but realistically, it probably won't happen until my kids are older, independent and have someone complaining to them about wifi, and regular-ole spaghetti. 

Until then, I'm happy to be the Naggy-McNaggerston. They can hate me now and love me later. Sure beats the hell out of the alternative.

Loving me now (for giving in to their demands) and hating me later (for setting them up for failure).


No comments:

Post a Comment