For a second I thought I'd gazed myself into a Hudson News at the airport staring at a cover of Maxim...or worse. But no. I wasn't at one of "those" places and it wasn't Maxim (or worse). It was Cosmo-freakin-politan. Over the course of the last several years, I have noticed the covers have gotten a bit more revealing, but for whatever reason, this particular one sent me over the edge. It could be the fact that I have 5 impressional boys at home ages 11 and older. This particular issue was displayed front and center at the end of the checkout aisle, perfectly eye level to an 8-9 year old kid standing in line with mom or dad. On top of boobies, the word SEX was displayed prominantly in 3 different places with a bonus article on the ultimate guide to oral. Thanks, Cosmo. (insert sarcasm, not a geniune appreciation)
Obviously, Cosmopolitan is going with the adage "Sex sells"....and, apparently it really does. Cosmo is the most read women's magazine in the world according to www.bauer-media.com with the age demographic aimed for 18-34. At 41, I feel Cosmo is secretly suggesting the likes of me advance on over to Living Better 50 or Readers Digest. Newsflash Cosmo, I too would love some insight on "Sweatproof makeup" and how not to kill my husband "When he makes me crazy" so don't throw me in a retirement facility just yet. But now I'm more likely to Google the answers to those two things, because I'm mad at you for stressing me the hell out in Walmart.
And now I have a few questions for you, the editors of CosmoCoverYourKidsEyespolitan:
1. Are you a parent? Can your kids read?
2. Please explain why it is appropriate for your magazine to be prominently placed perfectly at kid-eye level in a store that sells PlaySkool, Fisher Price, Lego, Thomas the Tank Engine, Elmo, Scooby Doo and Barbie type items?
Now in detail, please answer the following questions for our kids:
3. "What is sex? And how do you give or get the best ever?"
4. "Daddy, what is oral? Is it the gross flouride swishy stuff from the dentist office?"
5. "Does it hurt your head when you blow your mind?"
6. "If there's a chance you could end up in the ER, why would you do sex, Mommy?"
7. "Why can we see that girl's boobies? Isn't she cold?"
Granted, it's probably way too late for my teenagers who have
For the sweatproof makeup articles, of course!